Cick here to go back All the Biographies
HISTORY


Archdeacon Barnes..Founder

(Photo courtesy Frank MacInnes)

The Venerable Archdeacon George Barnes

On January 27th 1815 the Venerable Archdeacon George Barnes, the Senior Anglican Priest in Western India, preached to the congregation of St Thomas' Church, Bombay - now the Cathedral -appealing for help in educating the children of poor Europeans and Anglo Indians. Immediately after the service 'The Society for Promoting the Education of the Poor within the Government of Bombay' (now known as the Bombay Education Society) was formed with Sir Evan Nepean, then Governor of Bombay, as its first President.

Archdeacon Barnes was only in India for twelve tears, from 1814 to 1825. In that time he not only founded the B.E.S. but established five churches: St James, Thana; Christ Church, Surat; St Paul's, Kaira ( in Gujarat); St James, Baroda and St Mary's, Poona.

In the Cathedral at Exeter in England there is a tablet in the chancel with these words:

This tablet was erected by
The Dean and other members of the Chapter to the memory of
George Barnes D.D.
The first Archdeacon of Bombay, who
after twelve years spent in India, was
spared to revisit his native land and become Archdeacon of Barnstable, and
Rector of Sowton in this diocese. Active,
earnest, humble and sincere, he won
the affection of his friends and the esteem of
all good men. He died 29th, June A.D.
1847. Aged 63





BARNES HIGH SCHOOL,DEVLALI,INDIA

THE CREST

It is a combination of the crest of Archdeacon Barnes, our Founder, on the left side, and that of his wife, who belonged to the Carmac family, on the right. On the left is a blue shield with the faces of three white leopards and on the right, four quarters alternately white and blue with crossed swords, three five pointed stars and a crescent. The swords are in their natural steel colour with the points upwards. The stars are blue over the white quarters and white over the blue. Similarly the crescent is white and blue. The bird is a white falcon with golden beak and legs. It is standing on a green mount with six alternate twists of white and blue underneath.

The motto, in Latin, can be translated, "I shall arise with the strength I have received." This has a three-fold significance. In our school days and after, we rise to even greater heights, fortified with the strength of body,mind and spirit which we have gained while in school.

(From the College of Arms,London)

Details courtesy Syed Mohammed Husain


Above:Spence Block named after Sir Reginald Spence.


Above:Sir Reginald Spence


Above: (left)Bishop Lash The Bishop of Bombay,...Chairman of the B.E.S. in 1956 and (right) Bishop Read..Bishop of Nasik

The Right Reverend Henry C. Read
Bishop of Nasik 1944-1957

The Right Reverend Henry Read became a member of the Barnes School Board of Managers in 1934. For 10 years, until he became Bishop of Nasik, and for another 13 years afterwards until he retired in 1957, Barnes enjoyed his support, interest and love. The school affectionately referred to him as 'Our Bishop'.

Apart from a Managing Committee and Board of Directors in Bombay, after the establishment of the Nasik diocese, Barnes was also given a local Board of Governors. Often there were clashes of opinion between the two bodies and no one put the local view more firmly than Chairman Bishop Read. When in 1948 some of the Managers in Bombay wanted to close Barnes down, Bishop Read would have none of it. By now Barnes was definitely his school and where others were fearful he was confident it had a bright future.

Such was his interest in Barnes, Bishop Read published news of its sporting and academic achievements in his Diocesan Gazette, was often present at Prize Distributions, Sports Days, Concerts and other special events, came up for Sunday Services in the Chapel, personally prepared boys and girls for Confirmation and made it a point to mix with Staff and children till he got to know everyone, not forgetting the servants and their families.

Bishop Henry Read held his last service before retirement in the School Chapel on April 14th 1957 after which there was a farewell function for him in Evans Hall. He went back to England where he served as Canon of Rochester Cathedral for four years and then, finding the pull of India too strong, he returned in 1961 as priest-in-charge at St Paul's Church, Poona, where he made many friends and was greatly appreciated.

On May 29th 1963 while cycling to his church for the Early Celebration, Henry Read was struck by a lorry that shot out of a side street. His death was mercifully instantaneous and greatly saddened all who knew him.


OUR SCHOOL SONG

ONWARD BARNES

1

Hear our loyal anthem, as we make it rise

To our School, with all our might;

Barnes has reared us, taught us all the good we prize,

Here we've learned what's true and right.

Chorus:

Onward Barnes!Upward Barnes!

Shall be our watchword and our aim.

Till the echoes ring, let us sing

To our honour,praise and fame.

2

Awkward cubs we were when first we came to School

Often grimy,spilt & slack;

heavy was the way till we had learnt the rule.

Learnt to know and keep the track.

Chorus:

3

Grown we are in stature, strong we are in mind,

Now we see they nobly live

That forsake vain glory, gentle are and kind,

Ever strive their best to give.

Chorus:

4

Comes the time for parting, onward we must go,

Face the world as men at length,

But we will remember all the school we owe,

May she grow from strength to strength.

Chorus




CANDY BLOCK
(The building furthest in the photo)
Named after Rev.George Candy


Rev George Candy was born in 1804 in East Knoyle Wiltshire, one of six sons of Robert and Ann Candy. He had a twin brother (Major) Thomas Candy who for many years was Principal of the Sanskrit College at Poona. There is a photo of Thomas Candy in 'Selections from Educational Records of India Part 2 (1840-1859)' published by the National Archives of India in 1965.

George and Thomas Candy collaborated with James Thomas Molesworth to produce the first (and still the most authoritative) Marathi -English Dictionary. It was first published in 1831, and has been reprinted many times since.

George Candy married Miss Susan Douglas in West Harptree in Somerset on 17 October 1833, and they had nine children, most if not all of whom were born in Mazagon. Several of their children remained in India and were part of the Church, the Army or the Civil Service.

George Candy died on 31 January 1869 in Bath, and his wife Susan lived on until 7 October 1888, when she died in Southampton. We would love a photo of Rev Candy. We believe that one used to hang in Barnes (Information courtesy Dr.Philip Candy [p.candy@ballarat.edu.au])


Another moment in history...


Above:A photo of Husain Kantawalla recieving a prize for an elocution competition in Hindi, which he was fortunate to represent Barnes for the first time in its history for Hindi elocution.